Student Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Marco Frey

Why The Oxford Shooter’s Plea For Help Went Unanswered Empty Why The Oxford Shooter’s Plea For Help Went Unanswered

Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:19 am
Why The Oxford Shooter’s Plea For Help Went Unanswered

Journalists and the prosecution in the case started openly challenging school counselors' choice to allow Ethan Crumbley to return to class as additional information about the circumstances leading up to the Oxford school massacre became available. In a three-page letter to parents, district superintendent Tim Throne defended the counselors, saying they had "asked probing questions" about Crumbley's potential for harm to self or others, and that returning him to class was a better option than sending him "to an empty house" because he "appeared calm" and had no disciplinary issues.

I had the pleasure of participating in a Facebook comment thread over the weekend that dissected the choice to return Crumbley to class. More than a dozen people spoke forward, including teachers, parents, past school officials, and school and hospital-based social workers. Many of those participated praised the conversation's level of skill, thoughtfulness, and subtlety, particularly considering that it took place on social media.

I'm taking the luxury of reducing the comments and opinions into a debate here since few people want to comb through an 85-comment Facebook thread. I'll give my own remarks a label and categorize other people's points of view according to their expertise.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum